Engineering manager (Remote, CET)
At Pento we're building a better, faster, and more modern way for companies to run and automate payroll. Late last year, we raised a $2.8m seed investment from some of Europe's best investors, and we're now looking for more teammates to join our growing team — that's where you come in!
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to help us continue to build the best possible payroll experience for European companies. Is that you?
What is Pento? 🤔
We're a technology company, not an accountancy, payroll bureau, or similar. We build beautiful payroll SaaS that automates all manual workflows and we usually help companies cut 50-80% off the time they spend on payroll. That means no spreadsheets, no e-mails, and no manual bank transfers. We've built an easy-to-use software product, that does all of this automatically.
You can see a short video by our co-founder and CEO, Jonas, here:
Why now is a really exciting time to join 🚀
- The UK payroll process hasn’t been disrupted since… ever
Every company runs payroll, but very few companies are happy with their current process
- Pento makes payroll up to 80% more efficient (we are probably conservative here)
- We already see strong inbound demand from companies all over the UK
- Our customers love Pento - our NPS is above 70 (check our Trustpilot by the way)
The role ✨
We're on a mission to change the way businesses run payroll; making it easy, transparent and truly fast. We’re looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to help us lead, nurture and grow our team of full-stack engineers in doing the best work of their careers.
As an Engineering Manager you will be contributing to our efforts to drive better product decisions, improve our technical operational efficiency, and enable the team to generate high impact outcomes.
You’ll work closely with our CTO Emil Hagbarth, and our product team, manage a team of 6 engineers as well as being involved with product development as an individual contributor in some capacity.
- Directly contribute to the core interface and write code. Serve as a role model for how great software should be written for the all team at Pento;
- Manage the processes necessary to operate the team effectively, aligning the Engineering team with the company’s goals and business priorities;
- Help raise the bar for our team by contributing to best practices (from documentations, to automating and streamlining work, to hiring, and more);
- Support the Engineering and Product teams in achieving a high level of technical quality, reliability, and ease-of-use of the services we provide to customers;
- Measure the impact of your team, define and influence product strategy;
- Participate in the product development process from start to finish, from helping scope projects to measuring their success and iterating based on user feedback;
- Provide visibility to the wider organisation to ensure we’re all on the same page and aware what’s coming and when;
🤝 People Management
- Collaborate with your team in thinking through our challenges, both short and long term;
- Motivate, inspire, and empower the team to achieve a high level of technical productivity, reliability and efficiency – we want you to help them do the best work of their careers;
- Run performance reviews and develop progression plans for your reports.
- Experience in similar roles with proven track record as individual contributor as well as managing a growing team of top performers;
- Experience building and iterating on full features. From database schema to CSS;
- Cares about successful outcomes but also is keen to build a healthy work environment that is both inclusive and supportive;
- Able to guide and nurture engineering talent in developing new skills and advance in their careers;
- Able to partner with Engineers, PMs, Designers and other functions to educate strategy and roadmap;
- Can clearly communicate decisions and the rationale behind them;
- Can adjust quickly to changing priorities and help the team focus;
- Can do all of this efficiently with mostly asynchronous communication in a remote setting.
💚 Our team
You can learn more about what we are all about here:
Life at Pento
We're a remote-first company and a diverse group of people. We believe in inclusiveness and are committed to building a team as diverse as the people we create our product for, representing a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We welcome applications for everyone – regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.
We don't believe hiring is a tick boxing exercise, so if you feel you don't match the job description 100%, but would still be a great fit for the role, please get in touch!